Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 9, 2011

2 weeks old, and here we go again....


Olivia had her 2 week check up on Wednesday (4.6.2011) and I was sure that she was packing on the pounds. Little miss had been nursing like a champ since we left the hospital and Mike and I were making bets about how much weight she had gained. Turned out, she hadn't gained anything. She was still 6lbs 2oz. Insert rediculous amounts of Mommy guilt. The whole last week when I was convinced that she was having a growth spurt because of the round the clock eating, she was probably just really hungry. She managed to maintain her body weight by eating about every hour :( I had the same conversation with the doctor about nursing that I had when Liam was her age. Fine if I wanted to keep it up, but I needed to start supplementing after every feeding with a bottle. Seriously like deja vu. This is basically the exact same thing I went through with Liam. And without going into annoying detail, it involved nursing, supplementing, pumping, medication, blah, blah, blah. And in the end, formula won out. But not until weeks later when I (and my boobs) couldn't take it anymore. I had a pretty emotional morning on Wednesday, but I talked to Mike and immediately felt better. We made the decision together that Olivia will be a formula baby too. I don't know what it is, but nursing just doesn't work for my babies. It wasn't an easy decision, but in the end, it's the one that we have made. (And can I give a shout out to Tomi and Michelle who both helped me not feel like the worst mom in the world. You guys have no idea how much I love you both! I am so lucky to have incredible mommy friends to help me through the tough times!) We did have a weight check on Friday and Olivia was up to 6lbs3oz. Still not as much of a gain as they would like, but better than nothing. We go back on Monday so can we get some prayers that little miss is growing strong. We go to the beach in less than a month, and she has a million adorable dresses that we need her to fit into :) Here are Olivia's 2 week stats:


Height: 19 1/2 inches (10-25%ile)

Weight: 6lbs 2oz (3%ile)

Head: 32cm (3%ile)


Tiny, tiny.
First bottle from Daddy :) One perk to not breastfeeding anymore. Wine, how I've missed you!

2 comments:

Michelle Ballard said...

I love you too and so proud of how you dealt with this week, you handled yourself way better than I would have! So excited to see you with a smile and a glass of wine! She is a lucky little girl to have you as a mommy :)

Unknown said...

I am so happy to see pictures of your little one! And that whole mommy guilt is a bitch isn't it? I felt awful for having to go the formula route with S too. My milk just wasn't enough.

She's beautiful! Congratulations friend!