Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE wine! I was beyond excited when I realized that we were staying at Chateau Elan for the weekend! Mike booked a ‘Romantic Retreat’ package, and it didn’t disappoint. Our room was incredible, complete with rose petals on the bed!
For dinner on Friday night we ate at Versailles and it was so good. We were too busy eating to get any pictures of our dinner, but our waitress was so sweet and brought me a vanilla bean crème brulee for dessert. Easily the best I have ever had!
Saturday morning, we woke up and had breakfast and then decided to rent bikes for the morning. We rode all around the Vineyard, and then ditched the bikes to walk on some of the nature trails on the property.
One more thing we needed to check off of our fall bucket list was jumping in a pile of leaves and we just happened to find a huge pile on our walk.
After our walk we changes, and had some lunch and then headed to the Winery for our wine tour/tasting.
Where the magic happens!!
This was an actual antique cask that held up to 1840 GALLONS of wine! Yes, please
After the tour is was time for the tasting!
We learned the proper way to taste wine: See, Smell, Sip. And for the Sip step, you actually take a sip, swish it around, swallow and then smack your mouth. I was glad to hear that you only really do it that way when you are actually doing a tasting!
For the record, the Scarlett 211 was my favorite! I also really enjoyed the Port…Chateau Elan’s Port is 60% Zinfandel, 40% Brandy. They served it with chocolate and it was sooooo good!
After the tasting we walked around the Winery for a while until it was time for our Culinary Demonstration. There were about 20 ‘students’ and our chef showed us how to make Herb Chicken in Rice Paper with Goat Cheesse. So so so good. As soon as I can find somewhere to buy rice paper, I am all over this recipe!!
When the chef asked for helpers, I quickly threw my hand in the air. I was one of 2 official rice paper chicken wrappers!
My final product:
The Chef had some really great tips and was really entertaining. (One tip was to use regular Olive Oil (not Extra Virgin) if you plan on cooking with it. Saves you lots of money and tastes the same. Save the Extra Virgin Olive Oil for dressing salads and pastas, or eating with bread.)
Chef Jessi!
After the demonstration, we were exhausted (er….tipsy??) and so we headed back to the room for a little nap….Which turned into a 2 hour nap for me, and a short trip to Paddy’s Irish Pub for Mike
When we got back to the room, we were greeted with this:
So romantic!! Mike and I had such an amazing weekend and I’m so grateful to have such a thoughtful husband. He made this birthday one I will never forget!
And a HUGE thank you to Mom and Russ who wrestled with our 2 crazy kiddos all weekend! It’s so much easier to relax and have a good time when we know our babies are in such good hands!



1 comment:
Hi Jessi! First of all, what wonderful pictures and such sweet memories!
Thank you for your comment and interest in the program! I would love to share more information with you! I don't see an e-mail address to contact you, but you can e-mail me at 5thbelleblog@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!
~ Anna
Post a Comment